Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Take A Walk



Walking is my favorite thing to do, especially with others. When I’m taking a walk with someone, I’m fully engaged in what they are saying. I can’t check my texts, emails or any social media. I actually pay attention to what the person is saying and have a real conversation. Real conversations are very rare now days – the kind where you are in the presence of the person speaking, you listen to what they have to say and then you respond. Walking is very conducive to this type of interaction. Walking is one of my favorite ways to get to know people.

On my journey towards Jesus – looking and acting like Him – I’ve realized that walking is the best mode of transportation. Makes sense, it’s how He traveled when He was here on earth. When I walk with Jesus, He is able to talk to me and I’m a lot less distracted. I can focus on what He is saying and listen, really listen. Running, driving, flying – they all go to fast and make too much noise, Jesus’ voice gets lost in background.
Too many times I have found myself running, or flying, ahead of Jesus and missing what He was saying. Too many times I have run away from Him so I couldn’t hear what He was saying. But, if I truly want to be the person that God wants me to be, then I need to walk toward Jesus and with Jesus as He teaches me all I need to know.  Sometimes it is very painful, but it is all for His Glory and that makes it all worthwhile. I’m not perfect – won’t be until I’m in the presence of God the Father – but I’m working at being able to better reflect the One that lives in me. I make a lot of mistakes, I hurt people when I don’t mean to and I wish I knew how to make everything better for those I care about.

What I do have control over is whether or not I’m going to stay the same person I am today or work towards being the person God desires me to be. I choose the work. I choose to keep looking unto Jesus as the standard and guide. I choose to walk toward Jesus. I choose to walk with Jesus.

Want to take a walk?

No comments:

Post a Comment